Yes We Can! Dothan presents the 2nd annual "Stand Up and Speak Out" speech contest | Community Spirit
Yes We Can! Dothan's 2nd annual "Stand Up Speak Out" speech contest 2012 is set for Thursday, April 5th at Wallace College Cherry Hall, beginning at 9:00 a.m.
Sixteen students from Dothan High and Northview High Schools will be competing in this phase of the competition. Fifty students submitted essays which were judged. The top sixteen were selected to move to the speech phase of the competition.
The agenda for the event is as follows:
- 9:00 am - Welcome by Dr. JeeHae Lee, Troy University, Speak Out Contest Coordinator
- Greetings by Dr. Thomas Harrison from Yes We Can! Dothan, Dr. Ashli Boutwell from Wallace College and Dr. Robert Saunders from Troy University Dothan
- Introductions of Judges; Ms. Savannah Granberry (Wallace College), Ms. Tammy Gregg (Wallace College), Dr. Alan Belsches (Troy University Dothan), Dr. Bill Lipscomb (Troy University Dothan), Dr. James Ortego (Troy University Dothan)
Speech Contest (Speeches will be 5 to 8 minutes in length):
- Mr. Cris Bangert, Northiew - Elimination or Approval?
- Ms. Caroline Caskey, Northview - Contraception Accessibility in Schools
- Ms. Anna Chan, Northview - The Dangers of Nuclear Weaponry
- Ms. Grace Cornelus, Northview - Unlawful Abortion
- Mr. Brandon Etheredge, Northview - Recycling! Yes We Can!
- Mr. Alex Fries, Dothan - The American Oligarchy
- Ms. Jessica Majors, Dothan - Sexual Education: A Positive Movement for Education
- Ms. Leandra McGriff, Northview - The Bible and Science
- Ms. Virginia Nelson, Northview - Animal Abuse
- Ms. Laura Pry, Northview - Should Abortion Be Legal?
- Mr. Jocsan Omar Rivera, Northview - Government Occultation
- Mr. Jackson S. Stansell, Dothan - Rise to the Top
- Ms. Cheyenne Trujillo, Dothan - Bleeped Out
- Ms. Haley Watkins, Northview - Abortion; Not the Best Choice
- Ms. Melissa Whitehurst, Dothan - The Dangers of Political Parties in the U.S.
- Mr. Calvin Wilborn, Northview - Let Us Pray
- 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm - Lunch for participants, teachers, families and friends who attend
- 1:00 pm - 1:30 pm - Wallace College Campus Tour
- 1:30 pm - 2:30 pm - Awards Ceremony and pictures
Cash prizes will be awarded to the top 5 places; 1st place $250, 2nd place $200, 3rd place $150, 4th place $100 and 5th place $50. Teachers of the winning finalists will also receive an equal amount of prize money to purchase school supplies and instructional materials for their classroom.
Attending this event will be the participants, judges, advocacy group members, participant's families, select classes from Wallace College and members of Yes We Can! Dothan.
Make plans to attend this unique event which will help give Dothan City Schools' high school students an opportunity to develop their speech and presentation skills.
Source: Yes We Can! Dothan