High speed chase leads to death in officer involved shooting | Crime
DOTHAN, AL (WSFA) - The Alabama Bureau of Investigation has been called in to investigate an officer involved shooting in Dothan following a police chase.
The Dothan Police Department says officers attempted to make a traffic stop on Montgomery Highway after the vehicle's license plate scan returned information on a felony warrant. Police turned on their lights and the suspect fled on what was termed as a "high speed" chase. Police believe the suspect may have tried to run over one of the officers.
During the chase the suspect struck another vehicle and police opened fire. The suspect's vehicle jumped a curb and crashed into a business on the 1500 block of Montgomery Highway near Montana Street. An employee inside the business was injured, but the extent of their injuries is unknown at this time.
Police say the suspect was pronounced dead on the scene.
Because this is an officer involved shooting the ABI has been called in to investigate. A press conference regarding this incident has been scheduled for Friday morning.
Top Dothan Stories
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Prosecution says court was wrong to overturn Troy rape convictions
- No. 21 Troy Defeats Arkansas State 3-2 in Sun Belt Tournament Opener
- Air Force Maj. Gen. Walter D. Givhan talks value of education with TROY grads
- TROY professor earns national award
- Conviction overturned in Troy mobile home park rape cases