DOTHAN, AL (WSFA) - Dothan authorities believe an elderly Dothan woman died from long-term smoke exposure as a fire smoldered in her home early Tuesday morning.
According to the Dothan Fire Department, crews were dispatched to a fire at 108 Bridgewater Court at approximately 9:46 a.m. When units arrived on the scene there was no visible fire and very little smoke, however, upon entering the home firefighters encountered high heat and heavy smoke conditions.
Crews conducted a search of the home and found a woman unresponsive in her bedroom where she had succumbed to the heavy smoke conditions.
Initial investigations reveal that the fire had burned for a long amount of time, and as a result it generated a large amount of smoke inside the residence - it eventually burned down to a smoldering phase fire prior to its detection.
Authorities say 83-year-old Rose Thomas was the woman found in the home.